A driver’s license is a legal authorization, or the official document confirming such an authorization, for a specific individual to operate one or more types of motorized vehicles—such as motorcycles, cars, trucks, or buses—on a public road. Such licenses are often plastic and the size of a credit card. Learn how to get a driving license in Egypt in this article.
Egyptian citizens and foreigners are entitled to a driver’s license once they have reached the age of 18. To obtain your license, you must pass a driving test as well as several computer tests. This is a common practice for most countries too.
Before now, all you had to do in other to pass the tests was drive six meters forward and then reverse six meters. However, the test has been made more difficult; now the applicant has to answer 8 out of 10 correct answers in a computer test, then pass a forward and reverse S-track test in addition to an assessment of parking skills.
To apply for a driver’s license in Egypt, the following requirements must be made:
• Provide a certificate from an Egyptian ophthalmologist and/or physician to verify blood type
• Visual and physical health,
• Provide the Traffic Department at Attaba Square in Cairo, or at Giza, with all certificates
• A valid identification document,
• Two recent photographs.
• A completed LE 55 form and successful completion of both a verbal and a road test.
• A proof of residence of the applicant.
• Free-of-charge certificate (infractions certificate).
• The compulsory insurance document against vehicle accidents, including the modified data.
• The Single Form for private cars.
Read Also: How to Get Residence Permit in Egypt
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Transportation
Mr. Ibrahim ElDemeiry
Address Nasr Road, Nasr City, Cairo
Phone no. 2400814 – 2260488
To be eligible to apply for Egypt’s driver’s license, you must be at least 18 years of age.
The required amount for processing Egypt’s driver’s license is 55 EGP. However, this amount can be more.
The validity of Egypt’s driver’s license depends on the amount paid. Egypt’s driver’s license is valid for three (3) years or for one (1), depending on the fees paid.
Having submitted the necessary documents and payment, you will have to wait for about three (3) weeks before your driving permit is ready.
Things to Note Before You Get a Driving License In Egypt
Before you can apply for Egypt’s driver’s license, you must be eighteen (18) years old and above; get the necessary forms from any Egyptian motor Licensing Office, read them carefully, and fill in the required information.
• Make all the necessary payments
• Attach all the necessary documents required;
• Return the application form to the Egyptian motor Licensing Office
You must appear in person to the National issuing office for the license.
Road Rules and Petrol Stations
Below are the general Egypt driving information, laws rules, and regulations:
- Driving in Egypt is done on the right-hand side of the road.
- Traffic lights in Cairo are often not operational, but there are police officers at intersections signaling what cars have right of way.
- Seat belts are mandatory when driving a hire car in Egypt.
- The use of a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, with the exception of a hands-free system.
- Drivers are to carry a valid driver’s license, registration documents, and insurance documents at all times while driving.
- Petrol stations in Egypt open from 8 am to 8 pm with some stations also having mini-markets.
How to Get a Bachelor’s Degree in Canada 2023