A residence permit (less commonly residency permit) is a document or card required in some regions, allowing a foreign national to reside in a country for a fixed or indefinite length of time. These may be permits for temporary residency, or permanent residency. In Egypt, a temporary residence permit is required to extend a stay past some threshold. This can be an intermediate step to applying for permanent residency.
Immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers staying in the Arab Republic are advised to get a valid residence permit, as this is the only criteria to living in Egypt. The residence permit is issued only at the passports and immigration Administration in Abbasiya. Staying in Egypt without a valid residence permit is punishable under the Egyptian law. That said, it us expected to be renewed when it expires. This is after it has been registered with UNHCR.
In order to obtain or renew the residence permit, there are some instructions to follow:
How To Get Residence Permit In Egypt
As stated by the Egyptian ministry if foreign affairs (MFA), the numbers for the residency processing will no longer be issued at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Those who are scheduled to renew or obtain their UNHCR cards at UNHCR offices, can pick up the (MFA) number for residency processing. If you have a valid UNHCR card, the MFA reference number and the appointment date could be obtained from Caritas, Egypt at their following offices:
(I) October city, Bundong 48/8, 8th district.
(ii) Nasr city, 20 subway st. off Anwar El Mofly st. behind Nasr city traffic center.
(iii) Alexandria: 26 Talaat Numaan street, Mahalet El Raml.
(iv) Damietta: 21/81 1st Neighborhood, 1st district, in front of the Tourism and Hotels Institute, New Damietta.
Note: you must bring your valid card to the Caritas offices. This is so that Caritas can check for the validity of UNHCR card, to redirect those whose cards requires renewal to obtain a document renewal appointment at UNHCR
(2) After you have received your appointment date and MFA reference number, you are advised to approach the Communications Office of the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya. The reference number issued to you by UNHCR or Caritas must be provided also with appointment for lodging the residence application.
(3) You are to approach the residence office in Abbasiya on the day of appointment. This is where all necessary documents including the residence permit application form would be submitted. Photos and fingerprints of you and your family members/dependents would be taken. An appointment would then be given to you to receive the residence permit.
(4) You are to return to the residency granting office at the residence unit of the Passports and Immigration Administration on the given appointment. This is where you will receive the residence permit card, issued be the Egyptian government.
(5) Irrespective of where you stay in Egypt, you are expected to pick up your resident permit card yourself which is only issued at the passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya.
(1) All UNHCR registration cards of the family members or dependents, registered with you in Egypt.
(2) Original passports of your family members.
(3) Copies of your UNHCR registration documents and passports.
(4) The reference number which you obtained from UNHCR office or Caritas.
(5) Two passports sized photos of yourself. Photos of your dependents are not necessary unless they are 12years and above and we’re issued a separate UNHCR documentation card.
It is required of you to pay EGP 100 as processing fees of the residency permit card at the bank located at the premises of the registration.