EGYPT WORK PERMIT
Foreigners are strictly prohibited from carrying on any work on a tourist visa. However, there is nothing wrong in experts looking for jobs while they are on tourist visa. To be able to work in Egypt as a foreigner, experts need a valid work permit.
If your company is planning to expand operations to Egypt, you probably want to get started as soon as possible with staff full of foreigners. However, you’ll need to make sure all of the employees have the visas and permits to live and work in Egypt legally.
Understanding how to get an Egyptian work permit is crucial to both company owners and the applicants. Egypt’s work permit application process is usually very strenuous and can leave some applications in the processing stage far longer than necessary- up to a year. Let’s take you through the process of obtaining a work permit in Egypt!
Which authority grants Egypt work permit?
A work permit for Egypt can be granted by the ministry of Manpower in Egypt.
How long can a foreigner work with Egypt work permit?
A work permit in Egypt is usually granted for a period of one year. However, this may be extended for a maximum of 5 years. It is important to note that working in Egypt does not translate to permanent residency.
When does the authority issue a work permit for foreigners?
Before the authority issues a work permit for foreigners, a test of the labour market must prove that there are no local residents eligible for that position. When a work permit is finally granted, the applicant must undertake the training of at least 2 local Egyptian nationals to be able to work in the same position
How long does it take for a work permit to be granted?
The process of applying for a work permit in Egypt typically takes 1 to 3 months until the applicant can enter Egypt. It may take a further 2 to 4 months before the process is completed
what types of Egypt work visas exist?
Egypt offers several types of visas, including the following:
- Work visa: Once a foreign national gets a work permit, their visa, such as a temporary/tourist visa, will get converted into a work visa.
- Temporary/tourist visa: This option is a renewable single-entry 30-day tourist visa that individuals can get when arriving at Egyptian airports. It’s also the visa individuals obtain for a job.
- Ordinary visa: An ordinary visa is valid for three to five years and allows an employee’s spouse to have a resident permit for the amount of time identified on their work permit.
- Special visa: The special visa is for expats born in Egypt before May 26, 1952 or individuals who have lived in Egypt for more than 20 years from that date. It’s valid for 10 years and can be renewed.
Requirements to obtain a work visa in Egypt
Employers in Egypt are encouraged to give jobs to locals rather than employing foreigners, which can impact work permits. Egypt also has a quota system, so limits on work permits could impact your workers. For example, non-Egyptian workers in any company should not exceed 10% of the total staff of semi-skilled or unskilled workers. The limit for skilled workers is 25%. The total compensation of foreign employees must not exceed 35% of your total payroll.
- A completed application from the Ministry of Manpower and Training Facilities at the Tahrir complex
- A valid passport
- 7 passport-size photos
- Two copies of the individual’s academic degrees and certificates
- License for exercising the profession, if applicable
- Approval from the related authority
- Results of medical test including HIV
- Copy of birth and marriage certificates if dependents are included in the application
- Permit processing fee of 1,000 EGP
In addition, the company employing the applicant will need to provide the following:
- Proof of a company representative acting on the employee’s behalf to apply for the work permit
- A copy of your company’s commercial register
- A memorandum justifying your reason for hiring a foreigner
- Two copies of your company’s incorporation contract
- Two copies of the employee’s tax ID card
The application process for a working visa in Egypt
After the work permit request gets approved by the Ministry of Manpower and Immigration, they’ll notify the closest Egyptian consulate to authorize a tourist visa. Then, your employees can come to Egypt and spend four to six weeks securing a work permit. They can work during this time as long as they hand in all the applicable documents for a work permit.
Other important factors to consider
All employees must register with the Egyptian police after arriving in the country. The government recommends asking the tourist police, who dress in white uniforms during the summer, for assistance. Employees can also take care of this task as soon as they get to their hotel.