Google Research Scholar Program
The Research Scholar Program aims to support early-career professors who are pursuing research in fields relevant to Google.
The Research Scholar Program provides unrestricted gifts to support research at institutions around the world, and is focused on funding world-class research conducted by early-career professors.
We encourage submissions from professors globally who are teaching at universities and meet the eligibility requirements. It is our hope that this program will help develop collaborations with new professors and encourage the formation of long-term relationships.
Awards are disbursed as unrestricted gifts to the university and are not intended for overhead or indirect costs. They are intended for use during the academic year in which the award is provided to support the professor’s research efforts.
Applications are now open.
Application Deadline: December 2, 2020 by 11:59:59pm PT
• Open to professors (assistant, associate, etc) at a university or degree-granting research institution.
• Applicants must have received their PhD within seven years of submission (e.g. applicant in 2020 must have received PhD in 2013 or later). Exceptions will be made for applicants who have been teaching seven years or fewer and had delays, such as working in industry, leave of absence, etc.
• Applicants can submit one application per round, and apply a maximum of three times.
The funds granted will be up to $60,000 USD and are intended to support the advancement of the professor’s research.
How to apply for the Research Scholar Program
Step 1: Read advice on how to write a good proposal. Read Here
Step 2: Write your proposal using the advice mentioned in step 1.
Step 3: Submit your proposal once the application window opens. You can find format recommendations in the FAQ.
Step 4: Applicants are notified within 4 months of submission.
Supporting cutting-edge research
Proposals are selected through an internal review process. Applicants will be notified of their proposal status within four months of the initial submission. We ask applicants to categorize their proposals into one of the following areas of interest to Google in Computer Science and related fields.
The following are the areas of interest to Google for the award:
• Algorithms and optimization
• Augmented and virtual reality
• Cooling and power
• Health research
• Human-computer interaction
• Information retrieval and real time content
• Machine learning and data mining
• Machine perception
• Machine translation
• Natural language processing
• Quantum computing
• Software engineering and programming languages
• Structured data, extraction, semantic graph, and database management
• Systems (hardware and software)
How to Apply: Submit application
• It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Visit Award Webpage for Details