To support excellence in postgraduate research, up to 75 University of Waikato Doctoral Scholarships will be awarded each year to high-achieving candidates applying for admission to an approved doctoral qualification at the University of Waikato.
Scholarship Policies and Guidelines
The University of Waikato has a framework of principles, processes and responsibilities with respect to the scholarships, awards and prizes offered at the university. The Scholarships Policy applies to all students and staff of the University of Waikato and in accepting an offer of a scholarship, award or prize recipients will be deemed to have read, understood, and accepted the conditions of the scholarship, and the Scholarships Policy.
The amount offered by the University under any Award/Scholarship/Prize/Bursary is at the discretion of the Scholarships Panel/Selection Committee and subject to the criteria specified in the relevant regulations which may include, but not limited to, the total available funding, grades, financial need of the applicant, the number of applicants, the number of credits enrolled, period of enrolment.
Eligible Field(s): Any field
Eligible Countries: All
Scholarship Type: Postgraduate (Research)
Application Deadline: 30th September 2020
It is only possible to apply for a UoW Doctoral Scholarship as part of the application to enrol process. That is why the ‘Apply Now’ button on the Scholarships page takes you to the University’s application to enrol page. When applying to enrol in a PhD, DMA, EdD, or SJD, prospective students will be able to indicate that they wish to also be considered for a UoW Doctoral Scholarship.
- The Scholarship is open to New Zealand citizens, permanent residents, and international students.
- The Scholarship is for candidates enrolling in a doctoral qualification, i.e. a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA), Doctor of Education (EdD), or Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD), at the University of Waikato.
- Candidates will normally be seeking to obtain their first doctoral qualification.
- Candidates should normally be intending to study full-time at the University of Waikato.
- Candidates who have socially compelling reasons for enrolling in part-time study (e.g. illness, disability, parent or carer responsibilities) may apply to the Scholarships Executive for permission to be awarded the Scholarship. The candidate should email firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the reasons for the request and providing appropriate evidence of the need to study part-time. These requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- During any period of part-time enrolment, the value and duration of a recipient’s Scholarship will be adjusted on a pro rata basis.
- Candidates will not be granted permission to hold a University of Waikato Doctoral Scholarship on a part-time basis if they wish to undertake full-time paid employment or substantial part-time employment.
- Recipients are required to transfer to full-time enrolment if a change in their circumstances means they no longer qualify to hold the Scholarship in accordance with Clause above
- Candidates employed by the University of Waikato will not be eligible for the Scholarship, except when permission is granted in accordance with the clause below
- Employment as a sessional assistant, or similar, may be permitted,
To be Taken at (Country): New Zealand
Number of Awards: 75
Value of Award: Up to $25,000 pa + domestic tuition fees and Student Services Levy.
Duration of Award: up to 36 months (three years)
How to Apply:
If you are new to the University of Waikato you will need to:
- Complete an Application to Enrol BEFORE you can have access to apply for Scholarships and Awards (This application is not a commitment to study here at the University of Waikato and can be withdrawn or updated at any time).
If you are a current student or already have a MyWaikato account you will be redirected to the MyWaikato screen:
- Log in to MyWaikato
- Click on the ‘Scholarships’ tab and select the scholarship you wish to apply for from the list of scholarships at the bottom of the page.
Once you are ready, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below and continue with your application/s.
- It is important to go through all application regulations in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.