As part of the In-Region Scholarship Programme, DAAD offers scholarships for
PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal
Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa (excluding South Africa) with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme who want to pursue Master’s courses. In-Region Scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home region (here: Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country).
Eligible Field: Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, MBHG
Application Deadline: June 2, 2020
The Following applicants are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree
(Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates)
with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper division)
• clearly shown motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years
ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
(excluding South Africa)
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate
considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public
sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are
especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Duration of Award
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum
of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars
must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
– PhD programme is generally three years
– Masters programme is generally two year generally starting in February 2021.
Number of Awards: 9
- 5 – Masters
- 4 – PhD
Value of Award: Fully-funded
Application and Selection Procedure
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two
Applicants must apply for their studies at the Stellenbosch University using the
contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The Stellenbosch
University has set its own deadlines.
The Stellenbosch University will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection
criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting
procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting
panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain
preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been
attributed to the institution. DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
The Stellenbosch University will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to
the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD
portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. DAAD Deadline:
June 2, 2020
Documents to be submitted in English:
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at
http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if
• Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
• Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
• Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in
Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
• Copy of the passport
• if applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
• Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
• Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if
applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see
• Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of