Australian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) International Scholarships 2020 for Developing Countries
The International Scholarship aims to increase awareness and support for emergency medicine in developing countries. By nomination of a FACEM or trainee, the scholarship is designed to help increase the recipient’s skills and understanding of emergency medicine systems and standards throughout Australia and New Zealand.
The Scholarship may include visiting emergency departments within Australia and New Zealand to help increase the scholarship recipients skills and understanding of emergency medicine systems and standards throughout Australasia.
Eligibility: Doctor or other health professional from developing countries
Scholarship Worth: $8,000 per recipient, with a maximum of $50,000.
Completion period: Up to seven days
Number of Grants available: Up to six each financial year
Nominations open: 19 March 2020
Nominations close: 12 May 2020
The scholarship is to be used to cover the return economy-class airfares, visa, accommodation, travel and living expenses while the recipient(s) are in Australia or New Zealand. The expected length of stay is seven (7) days.
The recipients are presented with a certificate of the scholarship at the College Ceremony held in November every year.
To be eligible to submit a nomination the nominator:
- Must either be a Fellow or trainee of ACEM in good standing of the College
- Have developed linkages with the nominee through previous international emergency medicine development activities in the nominee’s country
- Willing to accept responsibility for arranging a suitable program for the nominee (in liaison with the International Emergency Medicine Committee Administrator)
- Attend both the ACEM College Ceremony and ASM as a personal host of the nominee.
To be eligible for nomination the nominee must fulfill the following criteria:
- A doctor or other health professional from developing countries
- An actual or potential leader in the development of emergency medicine in their country
- Secured a committed sponsor who will host them and arrange their program
- Present on the challenges and opportunities relating to the development of emergency medicine in their country at the ACEM Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) in the relevant year
- Give permission for ACEM to use their ASM presentation, and personal and professional information, including a photograph, for the purposes of publishing in the ASM program and other promotional material
- Is able to apply for his/her visa to travel to Australia/New Zealand prior to 31 July in the year of the application.
Selection criteria and process
A Panel from the International Emergency Medicine Committee reviews applications and the ACEM Foundation awards the scholarship, all based on the following criteria:
- Present at the Annual Scientific Meeting
- Actual or potential leadership capacity in emergency medicine in the nominee’s country
- Engagement in an area of work that would benefit from the opportunities and learning experiences at the ASM
- Explanation of the value of the scholarship for the nominee, their environment and their country
- Well-established relationships with FACEMs and is from a country with strong linkages with Fellows of the College
- Have a reference from a Fellow or trainee of ACEM.
- Scope for the FACEM sponsor (or other FACEMs) to support the development of emergency medicine in the nominee’s country
- Fom region which is a priority for the College
- Desn’t have significant support from other sources
- No previous record of attendance at any major emergency medicine conference(s).
- Responsible for arranging a suitable program for the scholar (in liaison with the International Emergency Medicine Committee Administrator)
- Provide a report detailing the scholar’s experience to the ACEM Foundation by 1 February of the year following the scholarship.
How to Apply
If the nominator and nominee meet the selection criteria above.