Assiut University is a governmental university which mobilizes and directs its potentialities for the realization of its vision by providing the education required for the present and the future, production of generations that can compete in labor market at both the local and international levels, and qualified for excellence in the development and excursion of scientific research and technology, and research programs which contribute to the society development within university ethics. Development of graduate studies and research capacity of the University.
The Strategic objectives of the Postgraduate studies of the institution are:
1 – Developing the educational process of graduate studies.
2 – Relating scientific Research with communal demands.
3 – Involvement with the international scientific community.
4 – Encouraging scientific innovation.
5 – Providing financial facilities and resources.
6 – Developing administrative systems for graduate studies and scientific
Postgraduate Studies System
1 – Diplomas
Diplomas are studies dealing with courses of practical or academic nature and their duration is limited to one year in colleges such as: Physical Education, Law, Science, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Agriculture and Professional Diploma in Education and the General Diploma in Education for full-time graduates and some disciplines in the Faculty of Medicine in addition to other diplomas in medicine of the duration of one year and half.
There are also two-year diplomas in faculties such as: Commerce, Arts, Engineering and the Institute of Research and Technology of Sugar industry.
Applicants are required to have got a bachelor’s degree in the same specialization from an Egyptian university, or an equivalent degree from any academic institution recognized by the university.
2 – Master’s Degree (M. A. – M. Sc.)
Study for the Master’s Degree includes sophisticated courses and high training on the means of extrapolation and deduction of results of research. Afterwards, the candidate prepares a thesis which must be approved after a defense by a committee including the research advisor. The duration for granting the Master’s Degree must be no less than two years.
Admission for the Master’s Degree requires that:
– The candidate must have got the Bachelor’s Degree with a General Grade of “Good” at least.
– The candidate must be a graduate of an Egyptian University or any other institution recognized by the university.
– The candidate is required to pursue a year of studies approved by the Faculty Council and passes the exams successfully.
– After passing the courses successfully, the candidate prepares a thesis on a topic recommended by the department council and approved by the Faculty Council.
3 – Philosophy Doctor’s Degree (PhD)
The Doctorate Degree is mainly based on original research for a period of no less than two years culminating in the submission of a Dissertation approved by a committee after a defense. The candidate may be also required to pursue other advanced study as regulated by the Faculties internal bylaws.
Admission requirements include the following:
– A PhD candidate must have a Master’s Degree in the major from an Egyptian university or an equivalent degree from another academic institution recognized by the university.
– Must undertake innovative research in the subject approved by the Faculty Council and the University Council upon recommendation of the Department concerned. Studies and research are carried out for a period of at least two years.
– After registration for the Degree, the candidate must stay in the Arab Republic of Egypt for a period of one year at least before submitting the dissertation to the Board of Examiners.
– The candidate presents the results of the research in the dissertation and the dissertation must be approved by the Board of Examiners after a defense.
4 – Doctor of Science (D. Sc.)
Faculty of Science grants the Doctorate Degree in Science (D.Sc.) and requires the following for a candidate Admission:
1 – The candidate must have got a PhD Degree in science at least five years before applying for Admission.
2 – The candidate must submit innovative published research which he/she submitted either for PhD or Master’s Degree in science.
3 – The candidate shows the general trend of his/her research and reveals the value and impact of his/her research on science. Also, the candidate must survey his cooperative and joint research work together with the Master’s or PhD.research work he/she has supervised.
The faculty Council discusses the overall validity of scientific research provided by the candidate before submitting the file to committee of current or former professors in the Egyptian universities or professors from universities and scientific institutes recognized by the university.
5 – Honorary Doctorate Degree
The university grants the Honorary Doctorate Degree upon Resolution of the University Council or recommendation of Faculty Councils to persons of distinctive contribution and services to the University, State, or Humanity at large.