King’s College London Commonwealth Shared Scholarships 2020/2021 for Students from Developing Countries
Application Deadline: 18th December 2019 (16:00 GMT).
Eligible Countries: Zambia, Western Samoa, Vanuatu, Uganda, Tuvalu, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Solomon Islands, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, Papua New Guinea, Pakistan, Nigeria, Mozambique, Malawi, Lesotho, Kiribati, Kenya, India, Guyana, Ghana, Gambia, Cameroon, Bangladesh
To be Taken at (Country): UK
About the Award: Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are for candidates from least developed and lower middle income Commonwealth countries, for full-time Master’s study on selected courses, jointly supported by UK universities.
Field(s) of Study: The 2020/21 CSSS awards at King’s College London are open for the following Master’s programme only:
- MSc Global Mental Health
Eligibility: To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2020
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high income country
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue the course
- Be willing to confirm that you will return to your home country as soon as the period of study is complete
- Have submitted all the relevant application materials by the deadline of 18 December 2019 (16:00 GMT).
Selection Criteria: Selection criteria include:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s home country.
Number of Awards: 2
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed) – arranged by the university; funded by the CSC
- Approved tuition fees – funded by the CSC
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,110 per month, or £1,362 per month for those studying at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2019-2020 levels) – paid and funded by the university
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable – paid and funded by the university
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- Study travel grant towards the costs of study-related travel within the UK or overseas – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- Excess baggage allowance, up to an annual approved limit, when returning home – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
Reimbursement of the cost of a mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test, where required for a visa application (receipts must be supplied) – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC.
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £476 per month for the first child, and £117 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK (rates quoted at 2019-2020 levels)
The CSC’s family allowances are intended to be only a contribution towards the cost of maintaining your family in the UK. The true costs are likely to be considerably higher, and you must be able to supplement these allowances in order to support any family members who come to the UK with you.
Duration of Award: 2 years
How to Apply: In order to be considered for an award, candidates MUST submit the following by the DEADLINE OF 18 DECEMBER 2019, 16:00 GMT:
a) A complete online admissions application to King’s College London for one of the eligible programmes, which can be accessed via https://apply.kcl.ac.uk/
b) A separate application via the CSC’s online application system. Please visit the CSC’s website for full details.
Failure to submit both application forms by the given deadline of 16:00 GMT on 18th December 2019 will result in the application being ineligible for consideration.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Important Notes: Applicants are expected meet the university’s English entry requirements before 20th March in order to be nominated by the university for the opportunity.