ENTER EXTERNAL DESCRIPTION
Position: Engineer: Reliability
- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Role based in Richards Bay
About the role
We are looking for an Engineer: Reliability to provide professional maintenance engineering service and technical expertise to RBM in order to ensure equipment reliability through key processes (RCM, RCA, etc) and other reliability methodologies.
Reporting to the Manager: Reliability & Asset Management, you will:
- Implement the Rio Tinto Asset Management strategy and conduct a critical maintenance performance analysis to ensure optimal efficiency and longer & more profitable equipment lifecycles.
- Assess the process of failure pattern analysis and ensure that maintenance strategies are updated in order to improve availability and reliability, while trying to reduce lifecycle costs.
- Analyze asset reliability and produce forecasts & make recommendations for equipment and technology improvements, design changes or strategy amendments.
- Investigate and assess the desirability and feasibility of proposed asset modifications and approve as required.
- Coordinate the Rio Tinto Critical Risk Assessment process with regard to plant and mining equipment.
- Develop and participate in Continuous Improvement Projects and monitor execution as required.
- Forecast sustainability projects for the 5 year plan.
- Act as a mentor for external companies via auditing and advisory functions.
- Manage and direct the process of defect root cause analysis for relevant equipment types to ensure efficient preventative maintenance as the need arises.
- Manage standards, specifications and work procedures as required.
- Compile new and review current maintenance strategies for specific equipment types, and ensure that these are modelled to assess the impact and then thoroughly documented.
- Assist in ensuring that standard jobs (preventative, corrective and design-out) are compiled by the Plant Maintenance Engineer according to the maintenance strategy and provide technical skills regarding root cause analysis.
- Facilitate on-site the defect elimination process in a planned methodical manner to ensure that Planners have sufficient information to schedule repairs during “maintenance shuts”.
- Develop and oversee plant maintenance tactics and activities.
- Periodically analyze maintenance performance, plant lifecycle cost and operability determine optimal replacement period, in order to make recommendations regarding the optimum replacement points.
- Provide assistance in identifying critical spare requirements.
- Engage with OEM Suppliers in terms of ensuring the best outcomes for equipment functioning.
- Monitor and contribute to Rio Tinto Collaborative Forum for Reliability.
- Perform fair and reasonable tasks related to the job and working environment, at the discretion of the Senior Reliability Engineer.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- NQF Level 6 or an Engineering Degree (Preferred)
- Government Certificate of Competency (Advantageous);
- EB License
- 5 years appropriate engineering, plant and equipment experience, with sound exposure to failure analysis and defect elimination
Where you will be working
Owned by Rio Tinto and located in the KwaZulu Natal province, Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) is an internationally recognized sand mining and mineral processing operations leader and is one of the world’s foremost producers of titanium minerals, high purity pig iron and zircon.
Employing some 2 000 permanent staff and a number of well-established contracting companies, RBM is proud of the accreditation for ISO 9001 for quality, OHSAS 18001 certification for occupational health and safety management, and ISO 14001 accreditation for environmental management. The company has implemented a sound corporate social development programme and an internationally recognised environmental rehabilitation programme to restore the mined dunes to their natural state after mining.
About the Company
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
RBM is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups in line with the company’s employment equity plan.